This month in history: April

DU's Old MainApril 4, 1890

Cornerstone of University Hall is laid in University Park

More than 200 people were in attendance on April 4, 1890, as a cornerstone made of Castle Rock rhyolite and engraved with the motto Pro Scientia et Religione was ceremoniously placed in its foundation, thereby establishing the University’s new campus in University Park, away from the distractions and noise of downtown Denver. As the institution’s only building until the Iliff School of Theology was completed in 1892, University Hall, known then as Old Main, housed administrative offices, a chapel, lecture halls, laboratories, parlors and meeting rooms.

Comments are closed.