Campus & Community / Magazine Feature

DU installs carbon monoxide detectors in all sleeping quarters

The University of Denver is installing more than 1,800 carbon-monoxide detectors in all University-owned residences following the death of graduate student in early January.

The project will cost about $50,000 and will be funded through DU’s facility maintenance budget.

Lauren Johnson, a student in DU’s Korbel School of International Studies, died Jan. 5 from carbon monoxide poisoning in an off-campus apartment, which is not owned by the University. Five others have died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Colorado this winter, and the state legislature is considering new regulations for making detectors mandatory in new homes and apartments. Currently, carbon monoxide detectors are not required by building codes.

“Most University housing did not have detectors in sleeping areas prior to this project getting underway,” says Facilities Director Jeff Bemelen. “It’s worth the expense and time we’re investing in the project to ensure the safety of all students.”

In addition to installing carbon monoxide detectors in every bedroom, detectors also will be placed near boilers. Bemelen believes the University’s project will be above the code that may pass the legislature.

The University operates residence halls and apartments on campus and homes and apartments off campus.

Comments are closed.